Silk is one of those materials that feel like a second skin because of its softness and naturalness. The fact that it regulates our body heat and retains all of its beauty throughout time allows us to wear it all year. Providing you take excellent care of it, of course!
Taking good care of a silk outfit
Silk is a natural fabric that is both environmentally friendly and very pleasant to wear. However, since it requires a few imperfections, it cannot be cleaned in the same manner as other garments, or it will be destroyed prematurely. If you take good care of it, it will last you for many years. There are a few things you should be aware of! Especially when it comes to silk pajamas, then it is for sure that you will be having the best choices for the same now.
In general, avoid washing your silk clothing in the washing machine, even if the temperature is set to 30 degrees Celsius. This may cause harm to your coat and cause it to shrink. To get the best results, fill a basin halfway with lukewarm water (not boiling!). And immerse your clothing in it for no more than a few minutes at a time.
Similarly, powdered laundry and laundry containing bleaching chemicals should be avoided. The most effective method is to use Marseille or Aleppo soap flakes or liquid detergent as a substitute. Alternatively, you may use vinegar to just freshen up the clothing.
What is the best way to keep a silk outfit from fading?
Keep in mind that silk is a fragile fabric and that proper care and maintenance will help to prevent dye transfer and early deterioration. In the case of silk pajamas, this is very important.
There is a technique to determine the dye’s brittleness: take a piece of white cloth, softly wet it, and gently pat it against your shirt to test it. You may need to use a very mild wash if you detect any colored deposits on your clothes.
- Do not massage or wring the silk; instead, compress it to allow it to soak in the water while it is in its basin.
- To remove a stain, blot it lightly with a clean cloth to remove it as gently as possible.
- Never let your silk clothing soak in lukewarm water for more than 5 minutes at a time.
How to care for a silk outfit so that it lasts a long time
As you may have gathered, cleaning silk is a period fraught with perilous consequences. However, if you are cautious not to wash it at a high enough temperature or to treat the cloth too harshly, your outfit will come out looking like a brand new penny!
There are certain safety precautions that should be taken on a regular basis to keep it in good condition:
- Keep your clothing away from direct sunlight and heat sources. The easiest way to store it is to hang it at room temperature to keep the colors vibrant and wrinkles at bay.
- If you ever have to iron your clothing, be sure you do so from the inside. Lower the iron temperature to the lowest setting possible, and place a piece of fabric between it and the garment to prevent bringing the silk into direct contact with the heat source.
It is as appealing to the sight as it is to the touch when it comes to silk clothing. If you want to spend pleasant days with your coat, wash it carefully and keep it away from extreme temperatures and light variations!